> hi tom,
>
> for a 1400 MHz bandwidth single pol, you need
> one roach and one 3 Gsps ADC board for pulsar/transient
> search machine and kurtosis spectrometer.
>
>   for coherent dedispersion pulsar timing and for seti,
> you could use the same system to break the 1400 MHz
> band into sub-bands and send the sub-bands to a bank of GPU/CPU units.
> each GPU/CPU can handle 200 MHz bandwidth, single pol.
> if you have more than 4 CPU/GPU units, then you need a 10Gbe switch,
> because roach only has four 10Gbit ports.
>
> if you want 8 GPU/CPU units, to handle 1600 MHz  single pol,
> then it might be slightly cheaper to split the band into two 800 MHz
> chunks,
> and use a pair of roaches, rather than purchasing a 12 port switch
> and a single roach and a 10Gbe switch.

I think you need to be careful about total bandwidth available.  One of
the strengths of GUPPI is its 8 bit dynamic range.

That means that for 2 pols, 800 MHz bandwidth, you need ~25 gigabits per
second, or slightly more than 2 10 GbE ports.  But at 1400 MHz, that'll be
2800 GS/s * 2 pols *8 bits/pol, or 41,600 Gbits/second for an 8 bit dual
pol system.  Obviously if you reduce the number of bits you can stuff it
all into 4 10 GbE links, but you really need to consider your RFI
environment.

All that said, I'd recommend that you spring for the 10 Gb switch if you
try to build one of these.  It makes things easier in so many ways.
Troubleshooting, testing, etc. is easier without point-to-point links that
you have to connect and disconnect to reroute stuff.  You can get rid of
it in the end when you install the system if there are space or power
constraints.

John