hi danny,   cc stuart rumley, valon technology

i agree with dana  - if you use a switching power
supply to power a synthesizer, the phase noise
and jitter will likely be terrible and you'll get spurs
and degraded SNR.

i suggest you check with stuart rumley, the designer
of the valon technology synthesizer,   (cc'ed on this)
to see if there is additional voltage regulation and
filters on the synthesizer board and if you can get away
with using a switching power supply and removing
the 5 volt regulator.

btw,  nrao has developed linux drivers for the valon 5007.

best wishes,

dan

Dear All

We are the proud new owners of some Valon 5007 synthesizer modules, which we plan to use to clock our ROACHes:

http://www.valontechnology.com/products.html
http://casper.berkeley.edu/wiki/Inexpensive_Synthesizer_Boards

It has a 5V LDO voltage regulator, so they recommend an input voltage of 6V. We were thinking of just powering these with the ROACH ATX 5V supply and housing them inside the ROACH chassis; has anyone done this before or have any advice?

Cheers
Danny