Hi, Guenter,

I can’t help specifically with specifying slow (multi-cycle) signals in
stimulink, but I can comment on this:

> On Sep 21, 2016, at 04:46, Guenter Knittel <gknit...@mpifr-bonn.mpg.de> wrote:
>
> - The second problem can also be found often and occurs for example in
> fft_wideband_real/fft_direct/butterfly3_x/twiddle between coeff_gen and
> bus_mult. From the MUX to the (complex) multiplier I count 4 pipeline stages
> of delay, but in the device diagram in PlanAhead I can only see two. On the
> other
> hand, the multipliers appear to use more registers than is indicated in the
> Simulink
> diagram. Can it be that the tools have moved some delay stages into the
> macrocell
> to save resources, but defeating their purpose? If so, can I do something
> about it?

Yes, it is often the case that the tools will move some register stages into
the macrocells.  This is not done so much to save resources but rather to
utilize the flip-flops built into the macrocells (e.g. DSP48 blocks and BRAMs).
 Using these embedded registers usually results in faster operation of the
macrocells.  You might feel a sense of victory if you manage to prevent the
tools from "absorbing" these registers into the macrocells, but that victorious
feeling would probably be short lived because the timing problems would
probably get worse.  One thing you could try is to add even more delay stages
so that you have more leftover after some get combined into the macrocells.

HTH,
Dave