From: Jonathan Weintroub [mailto:jweintr...@cfa.harvard.edu]
Sent: Montag, 19. September 2016 18:45
To: Guenter Knittel
Cc: casper list; Dan Werthimer
Subject: Re: [casper] Roach2 enclosure and power supply

Hi Guenter,

Dan’s absolutely correct, the enclosure was designed to be “RFI-aware” for
MeerKAT.

We (SAO), have recently decided to mount the power supplies in just the way you
propose.  See photo attached, of an early prototype.

We have worked with Digicom to produce recent ROACH2 assemblies according to
this scheme using modifications to the enclosure.  Digicom subcontracts these
modifications to a local machine shop, and we pay extra for them.  (We had
prior modifications to the case, hence the residual circular cutout and
additional screw holes which would not be there if a virgin enclosure was the
starting point.)

We are motivated by improved cooling rather than space because our telescope is
at 4000m.  We operate at ~1mm wavelength so emissions from the ROACH2 are out
of band for us so we can compromise the RFI characteristics of the case without
impact in our specific application.

The power supply in question is FSP250-60FAG which was recommended for ROACH2
by Alex Rust in a note to this mailing list on 6 July this year.  It is a tag
higher than the iSTAR it replaced.  A benefit to the modification is we can
mount it with screws to the back panel.

There are some drawings which we can supply, or Digicom may be able to help
directly.

Jonathan