Hello Heystek,

Yes, a sin-wave (usually called CW or continuous wave signal) is the ideal
thing to do. I use 800 MHz on a ROACH1, though I understand that they can
go a bit higher. Other more experienced users might be able to comment more.

My particular setup is: valon synth inside the ROACH's box, 10 MHz
reference signal from the station's timing and frequency ref.
The valon then generates an 800 MHz from that which I put into a KatADC's
"clk" port.
The "sync" port is for a 1PPS signal.

Regards,
James