On 7/26/2017 11:43 PM, Adam Isaacson wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Here are the answers to 1 and 2 below:
>
> 1) Yes, there is a an external clock reference. There are three SMA
> connectors on the SKARAB motherboard within the enclosure: AUX_CLK_IN,
> AUX_SYNC_IN and AUX_SYNC_OUT. The current ADC Mezzanine Card makes use
> of these interfaces. The current BSP package that we provide does not
> use these interfaces, so in order to use them you would need to do
> some firmware changes. You can see more about these interfaces by
> reading the SKARAB Hardware Description Document, which is located in
> https://github.com/ska-sa/skarab_docs (master branch). The SKARAB wiki
> is officially up and running, so check out:
> https://casper.berkeley.edu/wiki/SKARAB.
> <https://casper.berkeley.edu/wiki/SKARAB> It contains all the relevant
> links - apologies for the shameful advertising :). In order to use a
> reference clock then you would need the Mezzanine 1 or 2 slot open, so
> that you can feed a cable through to the SMA. Clifford, can probably
> confirm this.
Yes, provision is made for AUX clock/syncs on the motherboard, however
the standard enclosure does not cable the AUX signals to the enclosure
wall. These signals are used internally when wiring up SKARAB ADCs. A
neat option may be to place bulk head connectors on one of the unused
mezzanine site faceplates to cable to the motherboard SMAs. If this is
just lab work, then removing one of the faceplates will create an
aperture to pass a cable through (and typically won't be too detrimental
to enclosure cooling at room temperature). Connecting the cable to the
vertical mount AUX connectors will require that the top lid is
temporarily removed, however.

Another option (a bit more work, but necessary if you want multiple
external clocks) would be to pass a clocks down off mezzine boards. See
the Hardware Description Document for how to do this too.

2) The SKARAB BSP package runs off the 156.25MHz clock and this is
currently not configurable via the toolflow. The SKARAB motherboard  has
an on-board 156.25MHz LVPECL oscillator, which it uses as the main clock
source.The SKARAB BSP does make provision for a user_clk, which is the
toolflow clock, but right now there is only one. It would be easy enough
to add another if required. You could just add another clock to the
output of the user_clk MMCM and feed it into the toolflow, but this
would mean firmware changes. In our case, the SKARAB is using a multi
clock design, as the BSP is running off the 156.25MHz and the DSP is
running off the 230MHz clock generated from the 156.25MHz clock, but I
think you are referring to working with two clocks within the DSP
Simulink block.