Hi

If you want to set up a test jig, these devices are really useful for
monitoring all over a board:

https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/3892

In the long forgotten 15 m XDM of the South African KAT (it is installed at
HartRAO), we used heat pipes very successfully. They are common, since most
laptops use them these days.

We also found that aluminium is actually not a very good transferer of
heat...sometimes on has to go to the expense of copper.

We also experimented with Peltier coolers for the LNAs, which worked as
expected, with heat pipes taking the heat from the hot side to the edge of
the feed enclosure.

Regards

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 at 04:41, Jake Jones <jake.jo...@curtin.edu.au> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> We are exploring the possibility of mounting several SNAP boards
> vertically side by side in a custom rack. Ideally we want to mount them as
> close as feasibly possible by removing the stock fan.
>
> We plan on using only a passive heat sink and an external airflow
> solution. Does anyone have any experience operating the SNAP board without
> the fan installed?
> If so, how did the SNAP board perform with respect to thermals?
>
> We also have concerns that cross-talk could be a problem when mounting the
> boards in such close proximity. Any advise with respect to this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> *Jake Jones*
> Engineering Graduate Intern | Curtin Institute of Radio Astronomy
>
> Curtin University
> Location | 610.115
> Email | jake.jo...@curtin.edu.au

Michael Inggs
10 Devon Street, Simon's Town, South Africa. Tel: +27 21 786 1723 Fax: +27
21 786 1151  Skype: mikings Cell: +27 83 776 7304
"Ex Africa semper aliquid novi"