Hi, Luke,

I have not used a ROACH2 to send multicast packets, but the MeerKAT folks
certainly have.  My understanding is that the 10 GbE block does the proper
mapping of multicast destination IP address to multicast destination MAC
address so it should "just work".

I recommend starting with a direct connection between a ROACH2 and a PC.  That
way the PC's NIC will get the packets without having to interact with an
intervening switch.  That will let you examine the packets using tcpdump or
wireshark.  To get the kernel to pass the multicast packets up the network
stack, I think you will still need to use the IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP socket option
(see "man 7 ip" for details).  When you have that working, then you can add a
switch into the path.  The IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP option will inform the switch (via
IGMP) of the multicast group (i.e. address) that you wish to receive packets
for.

HTH,
Dave