i don't know much about xblocks, so can't add much to jack's comments,
except:

about a dozen years ago chris dick and others at xilinx recommended casper
use xblocks,
so hong chen tried it out, and ported several of the casper dsp blocks.
i think it worked well,  and hong chen liked xblocks, but it didn't catch
on in the casper community.
not sure why.

best wishes,

dan