Dear Nick and Neil,

Thanks for your email.

@Nick: these are the toolboxes I use for my Matlab R2018a update pack 6
when using SKARAB:

>> ver
MATLAB Version: 9.4.0.949201 (R2018a) Update 6
MATLAB License Number: 967932
Operating System: Linux 4.4.0-159-generic #187-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 1
16:28:06 UTC 2019 x86_64
Java Version: Java 1.8.0_144-b01 with Oracle Corporation Java HotSpot(TM)
64-Bit Server VM mixed mode
MATLAB                                                Version 9.4
(R2018a)
Simulink                                              Version 9.1
(R2018a)
DSP System Toolbox                                    Version 9.6
(R2018a)
Fixed-Point Designer                                  Version 6.1
(R2018a)
Signal Processing Toolbox                             Version 8.0
(R2018a)

I have never tried it without all these toolboxes. You may be able to get
away with removing one or two of the last three toolboxes. I guess it
depends what libraries you use. The best way to see is to contact your
Matlab supplier and ask for a trial or evaluation license with the various
options. Also, refer to
https://casper.berkeley.edu/index.php/getting-started/ for how to get
started with the toolflow and tutorials.

Yes, Matlab/Simulink is expensive. Here is a brief hstory of the toolflow.
It used to be written entirely in Matlab i.e. no python. The ROACH/ROACH2
uses this Matlab toolflow. The ROACH2 has recently become deprecated and
the newer boards (SKARAB, Red Pitaya, SNAP and SNAP2) use the latest
toolflow. The latest toolflow still uses Matlab/Simulink - but only the
front end. The rest of the toolflow is written in python 3. The CASPER
development team have spent many years creating DSP libraries in Simulink.
We are currently still using these libraries and SKARAB will continue to
use Matlab/Simulink.

I can tell you that the idea is to move away from Matlab/Simulink or make
provision for other front ends as well, but there is lots to consider. This
actually started in 2016. This would mean you would only need a license for
the FPGA compile tool i.e. Vivado. In my opinion, the current test
philosophy with the CASPER tools needs to be addressed e.g. unit testing
etc. The current toolflow also only supports VHDL or verilog (RTL) and
Xilinx. The industry is also trending to targeting FPGAs using OpenCL or
HLS, which is software based. There are new tools on the market such as
Vitis, which allows software developers to target FPGAs as if they were
GPUs. Vitis is completely free, but does use Vivado under the hood and you
still need a license for Vivado. It comes with a set of software DSP
libraries that are all open source, so you could remove Matlab/Simulink and
just have a host application that uses these libraries. This then allows us
to use the integrated test environments that Vitis provides, which helps
solve the unit testing issue. We are also looking at the new Xilinx Alveo
Data Accelerator cards (U280) and we will be CASPERising it - talk to me in
December :). There is also PYNQ, which is python based and supports a whole
range of hardware including the Alveo cards. We are currently in the
investigation phase to decide what the next step is for the CASPER
toolflow, but there is still lots to explore.

We will give more feedback towards the end of this year.

Kind regards,

Adam Isaacson
South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO)
Hardware Manager
Cell: (+27) 825639602
Tel:  (+27) 215067300
email: aisaac...@ska.ac.za