Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 15:22:11 -0700
From: Dan Werthimer <d...@ssl.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: [casper] ROACH-2: Identifying Spurs in FFT of Noise Spectrum

hi ben,
to test for ADC spurs, it's best to use a noise source, and inject wide band noise into your ADC, setting the noise to a similar power level that that which you will use in your experiment.
you'll probably want to run your experiment with a power level (and noise
source) that feeds the adc with an RMS of
around 40 ADC units..
(assuming an ADC range from -128 to +127,  and assuming you have no strong RFI
getting into your experiment)
(eg:  assuming you are processing a gaussian noise like signal). you can not test for ADC spurs by terminating the ADC input, because the ADC will chatter between two levels. (eg: it will usually chatter between 0 and -1, or  0 and +1, depending on the DC offset of the particular ADC chip, which depends on temperature...). if the ADC's DC offset is right in between two steps on the ADC staircase, only a few microvolts of RFI will cause gigantic spurs.   if the DC offset is exactly between two ADC staircase steps, then the RFI will need to be larger to get really big spurs. in any case, the spurs you see from a terminated ADC won't tell you very much about the spurs you'll see when you send a noise source or send the signal from your noise dominated experimental source. i think what you care about is spur to noise ratio, and that is best tested by injecting wide band noise.

best wishes,

dan

Dan Werthimer
Marilyn and Watson Alberts Chair