On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 at 17:59, Guillermo Gancio <ganci...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jack,
>
> Excellent! yes, with that I can read all the data with casperfpfa
> 1024*8, and I can see a "proper" spectrum, but other issue appear
> (that I didn't notice before) while configuring the synthesizer with
>
> adc.init(samplingRate=800, numChannel=1)
>
> it takes more than 20 secs, and on the tcpborph3 log I see a lots of
> repeating msgs of:
>
> no length specified, defaulting to data 4:0
> bit checks: total register=2048 start_bits=32 copy_bits=32
> raw write: bytes-in-buffer=4 register offset (0x4:0) len(0x4:0)
>
> it ends up returning "0", is this behavior ok?

I'm going to tentatively say... yes. The casperfpga client should explode
(probably ungracefully) if anything with comms goes wrong. It's unlikely
(famous last words) that anything is quietly going bad inside
tcpborphserver without you knowing. I'd close the log so you don't worry
about it :)
Taking a while is reasonable -- there is an ADC/FPGA link training exercise
in initialization which requires repeatedly varying FPGA trace-compensation
delays and inspecting snapshots of ADC data. The whole thing requires quite
a lot of register reads / writes / and the interface is pretty slow.
The "no length specified" is probably fine -- sounds like if nothing else
is specified, the default read is a single 4-byte register, which seems
like reasonable behaviour.