I just corresponded with Mathworks, and it turns out that RHEL very
recently backported this libc fix into RHEL 8.

It's likely that Debian/Ubuntu will follow.

On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 7:45 AM Adam Isaacson <aisaac...@sarao.ac.za> wrote:

> Well done, Morag and team! That is a great catch and very helpful to me
> and others!
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Adam
>
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 2:43 PM Morag Brown <mbr...@sarao.ac.za> wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I had a quick look in the mail archive and didn't see anything on this,
>> but it's not impossible others will come across/have come across the same
>> issue I've encountered, so figured I'd potentially save some people future
>> frustrations and heart attacks.
>>
>> There's an issue with later versions of Matlab (R2021a and up) on older
>> versions of Ubuntu (18.04 and down) where opening Simulink intermittently
>> causes Matlab to crash with some variation of the following error:
>>
>> *Inconsistency detected by ld.so: ../elf/dl-tls.c: 517:
>> _dl_allocate_tls_init: Assertion `listp != NULL' failed!*
>>
>> This is due to a bug in the glibc library present on older versions of
>> Linux distros that doesn't play nicely with the new way Matlab does some
>> things. Fortunately, Mathworks doth provide an answer. Not so fortunately,
>> their official answer is "upgrade to a newer operating system with a
>> version of glibc that doesn't have this bug". Lol.
>>
>> But they also kindly provide a solution
>> <https://github.com/mathworks/build-glibc-bz-19329-patch> for those of
>> us who can't just upgrade; an unofficial patch of the glibc libraries that
>> fixes this bug for various OS versions. This of course comes with the major
>> caveat that modifying system files is done at your own risk - all processes
>> in the OS share glibc, so the patch will affect your whole system, not just
>> Matlab, and this could cause weirdness.
>>
>> So if you find yourself in the same position I was yesterday, wondering
>> if you should risk it all just for Simulink - I'm happy to report that I
>> applied this patch, the universe did not end and nothing on my machine
>> *seems* to be broken. Great success.
>>
>> That is all,
>> Morag

>> https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/casper/CAGH-0Tc-dJ0AUnC21S5oTP-pRXyhMC_Ld%2B8KyQ31NuSFZ7HfkQ%40mail.gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/casper/CAGH-0Tc-dJ0AUnC21S5oTP-pRXyhMC_Ld%2B8KyQ31NuSFZ7HfkQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

> https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/casper/CADTJ%3DnGPD6cV7Vv0XuMVAezU%3D755iXVkMNzw%3DtGgc6Mc%3D_aTZQ%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/casper/CADTJ%3DnGPD6cV7Vv0XuMVAezU%3D755iXVkMNzw%3DtGgc6Mc%3D_aTZQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

Greg Lindahl
Software Architect, Event Horizon Telescope
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
60 Garden Street | MS 66 | Cambridge, MA 02138