hi niel,

oops, i just re-read your email and my undestanding is that you are
digitizing complex IQ data at 1 Gsps for I and 1 Gsps for Q  (1 GHz
bandwidth).

so please cut my numbers in my email from a few minutes ago (appended
below) in half:
you can get ~512 signals digitized (or brought in from 512 external 1 bit
digitizers) on a large FGPA,
but that's only 256 complex signals,  or 128 dual pol antennas.
i think the correlator for this many signals will fit in a large FPGA, but
as i mentioned, only if you have a very small number of spectral channels...

best wishes,

dan

On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 12:22 PM Dan Werthimer <d...@ssl.berkeley.edu>
wrote:

> hi neil,
>
> by number of receiver channels, i presume you mean number of antennas?
> are these single or dual polarization?
>
> how many spectral channels do you need in your correlator ?
>
> for a large number of spectral channels,
> you'll likely want to use an FX architecture correlator (not XF).
> in an FX correlator the number of ADC bits doesn't change the FPGA
> utilization for the DSP very much.
>
> one fun thing you can do with a 1 bit correlator, is use the LVDS
> differential inputs on the FPGA as 1 Gsps digitizers.   on a large FPGA
> with a lot of pins you can get about 512 ADC's
> (256 antennas, dual pol) built into the FPGA, so the FPGA can be your
> digitizer and your correlator...
>
> if you only need a small number of spectral channels, you could build an
> XF correlator
> with ~512 inputs...  (~256 antennas, dual pol, or ~512 antennas single
> pol) in a large FPGA.
>
> with an XF architecture, the FPGA utilization is  J  x
> number_of_spectral_channels.
> for FX, the utilization goes as K  x  log_base_2(spectral_channels).
>
> but constant K >> constant J,
> so sometimes (rarely) it is better to use XF, depending on the number of
> spectral channels.
>

> best wishes,
>
> dan
>

> On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 11:47 AM salmon.na via casper@lists.berkeley.edu <
> casper@lists.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
>> For a paper on non-radioastronomy aperture synthesis technology I need to
>> know how many receiver channels can run into an almost top of the range
>> FPGA optimally designed single-bit cross-correlator running a 2 Gbps. So
>> each receiver is digitised (sine and cosine) in single bits 1 Gbps. I’m
>> wondering if there are scaling laws for this and I only need to have a ball
>> park figure, ie a precision of say a factor of three or thereabouts. Any
>> associate papers related to that which might have clues to the capabilities
>> would be helpful.
>>

>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Neil Salmon

>> https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/casper/005601da14d7%24ede171b0%24c9a45510%24%40tiscali.co.uk