On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Anthony Di Franco
<di.fra...@aya.yale.edu> wrote:
> Taking the discussion below to the dev list.
>
> Continuing the discussion, it seems to me that objects in Cassandra
> might be quite large from this passage:

You've misunderstood.  The "atom" in cassandra is a single column.
These are almost always under 1KB.

> So there is (apparently) lots of room for objects to become large with
> respect to the size of the storage overhead of a single piece, at
> which time using an online code could provide significant space
> savings for a given level of resiliency.

Trading space for latency is the wrong trade for us, even if erasure
codes were a good fit for us architecturally, which they are not.
Please read the links I referenced in the ticket for more background.

-Jonathan