Thanks!

Switching to java 1.6.0_18 seems to have gotten past the 2GB file boundary.
I now have a new ring token for the first node in my cluster.

Can I run a "loadbalance" on nodes 2-6 to achive more data and token
balancing?

Should I perform a cleanup operation on node 1?

During the loadbalance operation, the following changes occurred:

node 1: changed token value ; data size change from 5.7 GB to 8.2 GB
(loadbalance was performed on this node)
node 2: no token ring changes ; data size remained at 5.7 GB ; again found
the following warning(s) in log file

java.io.IOException: Reached an EOL or something bizzare occured. Reading
from: /node1 BufferSizeRemaining: 16
        at org.apache.cassandra.net.io.StartState.doRead(StartState.java:44)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.net.io.ProtocolState.read(ProtocolState.java:39)
        at org.apache.cassandra.net.io.TcpReader.read(TcpReader.java:95)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.net.TcpConnection$ReadWorkItem.run(TcpConnection.java:445)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown
Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown
Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

node 3: no token ring changes ; data size remained at 5.7 GB
node 4: no token ring changes ; data size change from 3KB to 5.7 GB
(cassandra selected target of load balance)
node 5: no token ring changes ; data size remained at  3 KB
node 6: no token ring changes ; data size remained at  3 KB

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help on this.
Jon