On Dec 15, 2007, at 10:21 PM, Martin Ellison wrote:
Thanks Ashley.

1. What sort of outages dopes DreamHost have?
http://uptime.besthostratings.com/viewreport.php?host=dreamhost

2. Any other hosting companies?
I was with http://www.johncompanies.com/jc_vps.html for awhile so I could run a modperl app. I liked them very much. I never had a single outage in two years (it was low traffic though) and was only asked to reboot my stuff once.

3. Should we go for a virtual server instead, and install Catalyst myself?
Maybe. If you do that don't use DreamHost, I think. If you're paying $50+, look at JohnCompanies or some of the ones others have mentioned.

My install on DreamHost is completely custom though, just on a regular account; in a local lib. That's part of why I like them enough to stay despite some problems. You can do almost anything with your account.