* On Thu, Apr 24 2008, Jon Schutz wrote:
> A "standard" is not a standard unless it's written down as a common
> reference for everybody to see.  People in the community come and go and
> don't all have the same history, or longevity of memory for all the
> "let's make this a standard" decisions that happen along the way.  This
> is perhaps getting close to the crux of the problem.  Clearly Matt and
> I, and you it seems, have a different concept of what the "standard" is.
>
> Is there someone out there, then, with the right background, to set up a
> Wiki page and document this zeitgeist?

I don't think anyone but you ever used the word "standard".  If it would
make you feel better, let's define the standard to be "whatever mst
comes up with".  He is the loudest, so he gets to decide.  He also has
that cool chainsaw thing.

Anyway, this whole discussion sounds like you're being defensive.  There
is no need to be defensive.  You didn't do anything wrong.

When you sent the patch, you might not have known that we wanted to keep
backcompat.  I didn't know ;) And nobody told you that we wanted compat
until recently.  So it's not your fault for not initially adding the
feature.  But now we want it, and are anxiously awaiting a patch.  You
are most qualified to provide it.

> No I can't do it now, but may well be able to if given a time frame.

You need to decide your own time frame.  This is not work, it's an open
source project.  We are not going to tell you what to do.

Someone will probably have to write it before the end of next week,
though.  This is an issue that we would like to resolve soon.

> It seems to me that there are some underlying issues here which need to
> be sorted out.  At least I think so.

If there are code issues, let's talk about them.  If there is whining
about community standards and so on, I am tired of talking about them.
It's boooooring.

You know how the old saying goes -- "shut the fuck up and write some
code" :)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway