I'm sorry but something just feels wrong about your approach - feels like your mixing at matching REST & a UI on top. Get the REST part down first, & then worry about something the browser can see on top of it. I don't think you should let 'what a browser can see' to influence the REST design. Get the primitives, GET to search, POST to insert, PUT to update, and DELETE to remove working. Then you, or someone else, can layer something nice for the browser on top of that. Letting what the 'browser can see (or do)' influence your RESTful design is just a bad idea I think if you're trying to create a REST controller. Now if you wanted to create just a generic CRUD controller that sort of looked like REST or borrowed some ideas from it, then fine. I guess the problem myself (& others perhaps) are having is calling what I think you're proposing 'REST'.
        Mark