From: "Simon Wilcox" <sim...@digitalcraftsmen.net>
Actually, it's mostly the inconsistency that's bad. I'm on several lists that work just fine with top posting.

I fully agree with this.
The netiquette's scope is to make everyone happy, but this is not possible.

As an example, a blind person can't use Linux as easy as Windows, because Linux is not as accessible as Windows, and it is very hard for a blind person to skip tens of lines in every message, just for beeing able to read a line or 2 with the current message (if bottom-posting is used). I have also tried to find a better email client than Outlook Express, but I couldn't because of accessibility issues.

But...
The mailing lists are not democracies. They are places where most of the users ask for help, and if some guys that give most of the help, it wouldn't be very helpful for anyone to tell them to follow a standard they don't like, because they might prefer to go away.

For this reason, I bottom-post on the mailing lists where most of the users are Linux users and top-post on the other lists.
It is not so hard.

Octavian