I agree, if perl isn't good for mangling text then what is?

The Catalsyt Devel code should be in a reasonable state for a volunteer to take
it on should the itch need to be scratched badly enough.

On 20/08/2013, at 8:45 PM, Ynon Perek wrote:

> Hi John and All,
>
> I like the templates idea - however I think chef is an overkill (not everyone
> using catalyst know chef, and there's already a learning curve. Adding a new
> technology may only make things harder on new users).
>
> IMHO the best option would be to have several project templates on github,
> and a user can just git clone a starter.
>
> Problem here is the application name needs to be modified in the process
> (which really appears everywhere).
>
> If we can work around that anyone will be able to write their own template
>
> --
> כותב הרצאות ? מדבר מול קהל ? הבלוג שלי לומד לדבר
> (http://publicspeakr.blogspot.co.il) כתוב במיוחד בשבילך
>

> On Monday, August 19, 2013 at 15:43, John Napiorkowski wrote:
>
>> Ynon,
>>
>> Yeah, the skeleton builder is showing its age a bit.  I personally never use
>> it, but I see the need for something like this.
>>
>> I've come to the conclusion that 'one starter to rule them all' isn't going
>> to be very forward looking no matter what it looks like.  I was pondering
>> something were people could easily make templates and skel on say github and
>> people could point some sort of cmd line tool at it and just use their
>> favorite authors way of doing it.  That way people could fork their favorite
>> and tweak it a bit.  We could even have a repo on github with a list of all
>> the know templates that the commandline tools would read and make it
>> straight up to generate a new project.
>>
>> On the other hand... maybe its silly to reinvent the wheel here.  Isn't this
>> just what Chef and Puppet do?  Maybe we should just use that instead?  I
>> personally have no issue using Python or Ruby for something as simple as a
>> project builder, and it would solve some issues.  We'd even be able to make
>> chef scripts to do stuff like set up common tables and all that (how many
>> user/role tables have you made).
>>
>> Of course Puppet/Chef might seem like terrible overkill as well.  Again, It
>> would be nice to have a way for people to be able to easily create basic
>> project templates and a little more, like setup mysql, etc.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> John

>>> 2. Code and DB tables for managing users and roles (using
>>> CatalystX::SimpleLogin)
>>> 3. A Twitter Bootstrap web view with templates (using
>>> Catalyst::Helper::View::Bootstrap)
>>> 4. Two helper scripts: one to upgrade the DB and the other to reset admin