Please speak up if you find any of these species in the 15 mile diameter count
circle centered on Mount Pleasant (or more generally anywhere in the Ithaca /
Tompkins County area) on January 2, 3, or 4, or if you found them on December
29, 30, or 31, or especially if you found them on January 1.  All these species
have been recorded on at least one previous Ithaca Christmas Bird Count but
were not reported today.  If someone actually did find any today they could be
added to the Count itself.  Species found within the 3 days before or after
Count Day can also be added as Count Week birds.  The number of individuals is
not necessary for Count Week birds.  Most of these species are very unlikely,
but some are quite possible, and in particular a few (*) have been found
recently and could still / again be here.

POTENTIAL COUNT WEEK SPECIES NOT YET FOUND, FROM PREVIOUS COUNTS
Greater White-fronted Goose
Mute Swan
* Wood Duck
Blue-winged Teal
* Green-winged Teal (rumor needs details)
* Ring-necked Duck
Surf Scoter
Red-breasted Merganser
* Ring-necked Pheasant
Northern Bobwhite
Red-throated Loon
* Horned Grebe
Red-necked Grebe
* Double-crested Cormorant
Green Heron
* Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Golden Eagle
* Peregrine Falcon
* Killdeer
Wilson's Snipe
Bonaparte's Gull
* Iceland Gull
Glaucous Gull
Snowy Owl
Long-eared Owl
Short-eared Owl
Northern Saw-whet Owl
Red-headed Woodpecker
American Three-toed Woodpecker
Eastern Phoebe
Northern Shrike
Boreal Chickadee
House Wren
* Winter Wren
Hermit Thrush
Brown Thrasher
American Pipit
Bohemian Waxwing
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Pine Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Green-tailed Towhee
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Harris's Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Lapland Longspur
Dickcissel
* Common Grackle (possible count week already, but I missed the details)
Baltimore Oriole
Pine Grosbeak
Red Crossbill
White-winged Crossbill
Hoary Redpoll
Evening Grosbeak

These species already have been found for Count Week but not (so far as we know
yet) on Count Day, 1 January 2010:

NORTHERN PINTAIL - 1 on 30 Dec by Gary Kohlenberg at Hog Hole
WHITE-WINGED SCOTER - 1 on 30 Dec by Gary Kohlenberg off East Shore Park
BALD EAGLE - 1 on 30 Dec by Bill Baker off East Shore Park
RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD - date? John Fitzpatrick, location?

Also of very great interest are any species in addition to those below which
were found on today's (1 Jan 2010) Ithaca Christmas Bird Count.  Yes, this is
what we found (from unofficial notes I scribbled during tonight's compilation):

ITHACA CHRISTMAS BIRD COUNT, 1 JANUARY 2010
Snow Goose - 20
Cackling Goose - 3
Canada Goose - 8,946
Tundra Swan - 24
Gadwall - 3
American Wigeon -1
American Black Duck - 43
Mallard - 951
Mallard X American Black Duck - 1
Canvasback - 10
Redhead - 260
Greater Scaup - 5
Lesser Scaup - 3
Scaup, sp - (lots flying past Myers, sorry I missed this number)
Long-tailed Duck - 1
Bufflehead - 13
Common Goldeneye - 15
Hooded Merganser - 4
Common Merganser - 34
Ruddy Duck - 2
NORTHERN SHOVELER - 1 (new species for count)
Ruffed Grouse - 17
Wild Turkey - 296
Common Loon - 3
Pied-billed Grebe - 5
Great Blue Heron - 4
Northern Harrier - 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 9
Cooper's Hawk - 10
Goshawk - 1
Red-shouldered Hawk - 1
Red-tailed Hawk - 121
Rough-legged Hawk - 7
American Kestrel - 2
Merlin - 1
American Coot - >>55 (plus a large number from Myers; Sorry, I missed this
total)
Ring-billed Gull - 241
Herring Gull - 700
Lesser Black-backed Gull - 1
Great Black-backed Gull - 93
Rock Pigeon - 988
Mourning Dove - 1128
Eastern Screech-Owl - 18
Great Horned Owl - 18
Barred Owl - 3
Belted Kingfisher - 3
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 182
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 1
Downy Woodpecker - 408
Hairy Woodpecker - 129
Northern Flicker - 24
Pileated Woodpecker - 36 (? sloppy notes, sorry)
Blue Jay - 1,108
American Crow - 4,913
Fish Crow - 7
Common Raven - 8
Horned Lark - 28
Black-capped Chickadee - 3,336
Tufted Titmouse - 485
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 59
White-breasted Nuthatch - 502
Brown Creeper - 30
Carolina Wren - 35
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 33
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 1
Eastern Bluebird - 125
American Robin - 63
Gray Catbird - 1
Northern Mockingbird - 9
European Starling - 3,552
Cedar Waxwing - 758
OVENBIRD - 1 (new species for count if it was included)
American Tree Sparrow - 284
Song Sparrow - 38
SWAMP SPARROW - 21 (new high count)
White-throated Sparrow - 100
Dark-eyed Junco - 572
Snow Bunting - 361
Northern Cardinal - 453
ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK - 1 (new species for count?)
Rusty Blackbird - 1
Brown-headed Cowbird - 36
Purple Finch - 7 (I'm not certain of this number, sorry)
House Finch - 457
Common Redpoll - 1 (I think this was counted)
Pine Siskin - 3 (I think this was the total)
American Goldfinch - 544
House Sparrow - 935

--Dave Nutter
PS Please send me corrections or additional information.