Today for the first time in many months I saw the female GREEN-WINGED TEAL
dozing on the lawn behind Titus Towers Apartments on the south side of the City
of
Ithaca.  I believe this is the same bird which was featured on a couple of
Ithaca
Christmas Bird Counts.  She has no partner, but hangs out with the MALLARDS
there and in the relief channel behind Tops and Wegmans on the other side of
NYS 13.
When I didn't see her at all last fall I thought she'd died.  No sign of her
all winter.
I suppose it's possible that the later daylight has made her nap time coincide
with
my evening walking commute, and she's been here all along, but I've kept my
eyes
open.  It's mind-bending to think that after sticking around Ithaca through
several
winters she would have migrated away and back, yet not have connected with any
male of her species.  Maybe she was just hiding (she's good at that) along the
various
channels and creeks locally.  I wonder if she's one of the Green-winged Teal
which
I first found where a stream goes under part of the then-new Mal*Wart parking
lot.
I'm going on circumstances alone in pinning this story on the bird I saw today.
 I know
of no individually identifying marks.  But she's little and cute.  There are
others of her
species behaving normally today in water in Jetty Woods across Fall Creek and
visible
from Stewart Park, and also on the George Road pond in Dryden.

This afternoon I also saw my first 2010 Lansing AMERICAN KESTREL, a male on a
tree on the north side toward the west end of Snyder Road behind the Airport.
I thought
of Ryan Douglas and the many great birds he's found while biking around the
area,
and how the Airport Kestrels eluded him for awhile.  We're gonna miss you,
Ryan, as
well as your reports.  I hope you find this bird as well as a mess of others up
to and
including the Black-throated Blue Warbler (rare in MO) before you go.  I guess
that'll be
awhile.  Sorry to get mushy so soon.