I found an unexpectedly rich variety of bird species, including many highlights and a few surprises, in Sapsucker Woods on Sunday morning.

* At the start of my walk, a strange loose flock of birds around the overgrown pool right next to the service driveway and the Lab building. This group included two BLUE-HEADED VIREOS, a ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK, a FIELD SPARROW, an EASTERN WOOD-PEWEE, and a HOUSE WREN, all preferring the cattails and low shrubs instead of the trees.

* My first SCARLET TANAGER sighting in the past couple of weeks (and, I expect, my last for several months), at the bend in the Wilson Trail North. BLACKPOLL WARBLER, MAGNOLIA WARBLER, and BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER were here too.

* Two SWAINSON'S THRUSHES and two WOOD THRUSHES all together in a fruiting shrub by the Podell Boardwalk.

* COMMON RAVEN calling several times from the woods near the road.

* YELLOW-THROATED VIREO heard singing a single phrase a couple of times along the East Trail near 91 Sapsucker Woods Road. I think I've never found Yellow-throated Vireo so late in the season before. I tried to think what else it could be, but the song seemed really quite typical.

* A big mixed flock of songbirds, including BAY-BREASTED, Blackpoll, Magnolia, Black-throated Green, BLACK-AND-WHITE, and NASHVILLE warblers, amid very many chickadees and titmice. Again I got lucky with very good views of both Bay-breasted and Blackpoll within one minute and a few meters of each other.

I also visited the Freese Road gardens. I found only two sparrow species (Song and Swamp), plus some Indigo Buntings. In the trees above the ravine, I found a little songbird flock that included Black-throated Green Warbler, Nashville Warbler, Blue-headed Vireo, and Red-eyed Vireo.

Mark Chao

Location:     Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology
Observation date:     9/19/10
Number of species:     45

Mallard     6
Great Blue Heron     1