Hi All,

Just a quick message to note that Shawn Billerman, Andy Johnson, Matt Young, and I saw the King Eider from the marina at Myers late on Friday afternoon (3 Dec 2010). We observed it for about 10 minutes around 3:45 pm, and then watched it fly south in the company of 4-5 female Common Mergansers until we lost sight of it. We thought that it might have flown all the way to Stewart Park, but a quick check there around 4:15 did not yield the eider.

Before the eider flew south from Myers, it was essentially by itself out on the water, although it did cross paths with a Red-necked Grebe briefly. It was considerably farther from shore than the flock of waterbirds (Mallards, Hooded Mergansers, Bufflehead, American Coots, etc.) that was just a short distance off-shore on the south side of the marina.

Good luck for those looking for this handsome bird on Saturday!

Matt Medler
Ithaca