The King Eider had moved into the deeper waters of the lake proper by 3:30
p.m., and swam back and forth parallel to the willows, varying between 25-50
yards off shore. It dove a number of times in the light chop, but I could
not see any food in its bill. A large raft of Canada Geese separated it from
the shoreline. Binoculars were sufficient to see him, but a borrowed scope
allowed me to fully appreciate the eider's fantastic form and plumage. Even
in the fading light, green was clearly visible beneath its eyes as were the
crisp black outlines on its face and the wavy contrasting body feathers—quite
a thrilling sight.

I've been in bed for two months with a broken neck and went to some effort
to get to the park to see the eider—and he was worth every grunt and
groan!!!! Thanks to everyone for their entertaining reports, photos, and
video footage.

*Happy Holidays *and* Good Birding to all!*

Candace E. Cornell