There has been such a proliferation of bird ID guides, most with faults of some
kind, since the days when we had a simple choice between Chan Robbin's Golden
Guide
and Peterson's! Then came my still favorite, the National Geographic guide
currently
in its fifth ed.

Today I received what has to be the breakthrough ID Guide. "The Crossley ID
Guide to
Eastern Birds" by noted wildlife photographer Richard Crossley presents each
species
in several aspect angles and all put together in composite photography
overlayed on
suitable backgrounds. It's terrific and a great breakthrough that should be of
help
to old and new birders alike. It's too large and heavy to be considered a field
guide but easy enough to toss in a pack or vehicle for reference. It even
indicates
the accepted four letter tetranome used by banders so there will be no more
need for
folks to make up their own! ;-)

It is listed at 35.00 but Amazon sells it for 21. I for one am glad I purchased
it.
I won't nitpick or review it further as I'm sure many others will if you are
interested in that sort of thing. If you google it you'll find a number of sites
where it can be previewed on-line.
Best,
John

--