Went out with the dog and took the binocs looking for snow geese (didn't see
them yet) or what else might be arriving.

Instead spotted several large lumps in the 70' basswood in the neighbors yard
which at first I thought were the crows that roost there often (I shot photos
of 17 at sunset a few days ago), but it turned out to be 4 immature TVs. Mom or
Pop came soaring in a few minutes later and all took flight. I had counted 9 a
few days ago as they briefly all flew in straight lines instead of swirling
around and around as they usually do.

Anyway, while all that was going on, another raptor came soaring into the scene
and I immediately ID'd my first yard Osprey. Whoo-hoo!
It soared around the house and grounds at about 300' in a big lazy 0 with nary
a wing flap, giving me a great rotating view in the glasses, then flew off
toward the lake (which is at least 1-2 mi as the osprey flies from my yard). So
not sure what attracted him; maybe all the other big bird activity...

ChrisP

Chris Pelkie
Research Analyst
Bioacoustics Research Program