While the Cayuga Bird Club trip this morning was small in participant
numbers,  just Bob McGuire and myself,  we did find a  very nice variety of
birds.  This was a half day trip,  and we went up the east side of the lake
to Mud Lock,  at which time we split up,  Bob heading farther north and I
back towards Ithaca.  I'll mention just highlights here.
        Our first stop was Stewart Park.  By far the most interesting birds were
the Ring-necked Duck/Scaup hybrid and the Red-breasted Merganser that Jay
McGowen mentioned earlier.  We walked briefly into the Renwick woods hoping
for a E. Phoebe,  but came up empty.     On the way to Myers Point we found 5
Turkey Vulture's on Drake Rd.  Myers was very quiet,  but we did find a
Horned Grebe off Ladoga.  We made a brief stop on Lake Rd (going down to
Long Point SP) to listen for E. Meadowlarks,  but the best we came up with
was a very convincing Starling imitating a Meadowlark.
        We had a very good stop at the boat house in Aurora finding 10 Horned
Grebes,  the EARRED GREBE and a RED-NECKED GREBE.  The Red -necked Grebe
was not too far out from the dock,  and the Earred Grebe was quite a bit
farther out with 3 Horned Grebes,  which made a nice comparison.
        The ponds in Union Springs were very quiet,  though we did find the
Screech Owl in the box at the Factory St. pond.  From there we went  to
Cayuga,  where we stopped at the machine shop  on Water St (?) N of the
town offices.  There were perhaps 500 mixed Aythya to the north with a few
others ducks mixed in,  several Am Widgeon and a single N. Shovelor  being
the birds of note.  While there we had a number of flocks of Snow Geese fly
over going south.  In these we noted 2 significantly smaller birds,  ROSS'
GEESE.  Our last stop together was at Mud Lock,  where we found 2 Ruddy
Ducks.  We did not see any eagles at or near the nest there.  From here I
headed home and Bob headed up towards the Carncross/ Morgan  Rd area.

Bill
Baker