From: bounce-21091426-9286...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-21091426-9286...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Dave Nutter
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2011 6:38 AM
To: cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Golden Eagle

Early Friday afternoon I was driving out NYS-96 toward Trumansburg to pick
up a fare.  As I approached Agard Rd I noticed a large dark bird with a
dihedral soaring low distantly off to my right.  I'm not sure what prompted
me to stop and turn around for a better look --  was it Ann's report of
Golden Eagle the day before in Ithaca?  the way this bird flapped
occasionally? its steadiness in flight? the darkness of the view of the
wings indicating a broader less curved shape? the way it was being harassed
by crows?  Anyway, I turned around at Halseyville Rd, pulled over, and
picked up the binoculars (in that order).  Meanwhile the bird had worked its
way closer, and I got my best look ever at an immature GOLDEN EAGLE.  The
tail was long and wedge-shaped, white with a broad dark brown terminal band.
The basal part of the underside of the primaries of each wing formed a white
patch which did not show above.  The wing coverts formed a broad medium
brown band extending out from the shoulders.  The crown and nape were
clearly golden.  Otherwise the bird was very dark brown.  The wings were
quite broad and straight, without the crooks and tapering of Turkey Vulture
wings, and the head was more obvious than the neck of a Turkey Vulture.
Four American Crows were attending it, one even grabbing at its tail, but
they looked puny by comparison.  The eagle seemed to ignore the crows as it
wandered eastward toward the upper part of Taughannock Falls State Park.
I'm wondering if this was the same bird Ann saw, and it's hanging around the
area, or whether they are moving through.

--Dave Nutter