I headed up to Montezuma early this morning with a crew of Golondrinas
technicians (Justin Proctor, Maria Stager, Emilie Ospina, and Eric
Lopresti). We got to Towpath Road while the marshes were still
enveloped in the morning fog, so we birded the road for migrants for a
while. We had one NASHVILLE, BLACKPOLLs, Palm, and Yellow-rumped
Warblers, one LINCOLN'S SPARROW, many White-throated Sparrows and
Ruby-crowned Kinglets.

After the fog lifted, there was good shorebirding on the north end of Puddler's:

Sandhill Crane (Grus canadensis)  3
Black-bellied Plover (Pluvialis squatarola)  8
Semipalmated Plover (Charadrius semipalmatus)  5
AMERICAN AVOCET (Recurvirostra americana)  1
Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius)  1
Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria)  2
Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca)  10
Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes)  1
Semipalmated Sandpiper (Calidris pusilla)  45
Least Sandpiper (Calidris minutilla)  15
WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER (Calidris fuscicollis)  45
Pectoral Sandpiper (Calidris melanotos)  3
DUNLIN (Calidris alpina)  3

The shorebirds were repeatedly flushed by a Peregrine and two
Harriers. We were surprised when we realized one of the balls of
shorebirds flying around was almost entirely White-rumps - we counted
about 45 total in the flats, I think the most I've ever seen at once.
The Avocet was still present. No sign of any Godwits. There was one
female Common Merganser.

Overhead and in the Knox-Marcellus half of the marshes were many
thousands of ducks and geese. Hundreds of Snow Geese were flying
around in large flocks, I think most of them originating in K-M and
flying away. We estimated several thousand dabbling ducks were put up
in great flocks by the raptors, but they were too far for us to
estimate composition.

On East Road, the highlight for the Golondrinas crew was of course the
approximately 2000 Tree Swallows on the wires, overhead, over the
fields, swarming the nest boxs and sign posts, and for some reason
mobbing an immature PURPLE MARTIN. I didn't pick out any other swallow
species. It is certainly pretty late for a Martin, but I got a great
look as it passed over the car with Tree Swallows in pursuit.

We also checked Mays Point and the Headquarters on the way back, but
didn't see anything new. Best bird at May's was probably 2
White-rumped Sandpipers flying away.

Good Birding,
Nick