Today while birding with Ann Mitchell on Portland Point Rd I noticed that the power pole in the Cargill mine complex which for the past couple years held Tompkins County's only Osprey nest of which I'm aware now only holds the intended trio of transformers and crossbar with insulators and wires.  Does anyone know when (and how?) it came down?  Be on the look-out for Ospreys with sticks around the southern part of Cayuga Lake come March and April.  Maybe this year they'll make a more serious effort atop the platform at Treman Marine Park.

We saw neither Red-necked Grebes nor Northern Shrikes from Portland Point Rd, but we did see at least four NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRDS.

We also went to Aurora to try to find the Eared Grebe.  Even though the water was still flat we only saw 5 HORNED GREBES from the Wells College boathouse, plus some expected waterfowl: CANADA GEESE, 2 SNOW GEESE (1 adult with 1 immature), MALLARDS, AMERICAN BLACK DUCKS, COMMON GOLDENEYE, 5 BUFFLEHEAD, singles of COMMON and RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, distant flying small REDHEAD flocks, plus a few of the usual RING-BILLED, HERRING, and GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULLS.