>From 2:30 to 3 p.m. today I watched a good-sized male Pileated Woodpecker
just back of my house. He was tearing apart a pile of rotted logs that have
been there for years. He worked his way along the side and nearly under when
a gray squirrel came sauntering along down the side hill and too close to
Mr. Woodpecker. There was quite a flurry as the woodpecker tilted back,
wings outspread and with his feet let Mr. squirrel  have it ! The squirrel
left the area fast and the woodpecker continued his search for a good meal.
I often see the Pileated, sometimes 2 or 3 as there is a woods back of my
house and old trees in front along the lakeshore. Cardinals and Carolina
wrens are singing loud and clear now. The Robins that have stayed here this
"winter" will be heading back to Newfoundland to nest and the ones that went
further south will be coming back to us soon. It has been a joy to have them
around whichever way they are going.

Naomi Brewer

Sheldrake-Wyers Pt.