My 2 cents worth,

And using playbacks is now used by bird photographers everywhere to entice in
birds, especially the small hard-to-see ones such as warblers. I am somewhat
hypocritical here, because I do use this technique myself on occasion, but what
has happened in bird photography is that EVERYONE can now do it, and EVERYONE
does in fact do it. It's raised the bar all over, but this means that more and
more birds are being harassed because everyone wants those pretty, close-up
warbler images. One appalling example is the several well-known Barred Owl
spots in Florida where the owls get bugged over and over again by photographers
to get flight shots. One might argue (not my argument) that a few well-known
owls being the subject of annoyance is better that a lot of owls being bugged
everywhere. One could debate this whole issue at length and never get
consensus....same with the owl-baiting discussions. It's out there...it will
not go away.

Anyway, in the long term while using playbacks as a matter of course is
unfortunate, in my opinion, it will not go away at this point in time.

Marie

Marie Read Wildlife Photography
452 Ringwood Road
Freeville NY  13068 USA