I looked out our front windows a bit ago and saw 4 large, dark birds milling
close together in the driveway of the Brooktondale firehall.  It was raining
pretty hard, and I thought at first they were the local crow family.  Two of
them wandered off across the lawn picking at probably snails or bugs; the
other two engaged in preening, which I thought a little odd for crows, so
the scope was hauled out.  It was the local RAVEN family which we haven't
seen for 2 months.  One preened the head of the other for 5-10 minutes.  At
one point, Susie saw the preener pull the head feathers of the preenee
roughly forward so far as to expose a large white area.  The white we
thought was skin, but research indicated it to be the white bases of the
black feathers.  Thanks to Bernd Heinrich for providing an excellent photo
of these bases in "Mind of the Raven"

The two wandering the lawn we assume to be this year's juveniles.

S. & S. Fast

Brooktondale