From: bounce-61059592-3493...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-61059592-3493...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Susan Fast
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:20 PM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Ravens

I looked out our front windows a bit ago and saw 4 large, dark birds milling
close together in the driveway of the Brooktondale firehall.  It was raining
pretty hard, and I thought at first they were the local crow family.  Two of
them wandered off across the lawn picking at probably snails or bugs; the other
two engaged in preening, which I thought a little odd for crows, so the scope
was hauled out.  It was the local RAVEN family which we haven't seen for 2
months.  One preened the head of the other for 5-10 minutes.  At one point,
Susie saw the preener pull the head feathers of the preenee roughly forward so
far as to expose a large white area.  The white we thought was skin, but
research indicated it to be the white bases of the black feathers.  Thanks to
Bernd Heinrich for providing an excellent photo of these bases in "Mind of the
Raven"
The two wandering the lawn we assume to be this year's juveniles.

S. & S. Fast
Brooktondale
Subscribe, Configuration and
The Mail