 From: Jay McGowan <jw...@cornell.edu>
To: nutter.d...@me.com
Cc: Cayugabirds- L <Cayugabirds-L@cornell.edu>
Sent: Friday, August 3, 2012 9:39 AM
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] American White Pelican and American Avocet
Montezuma Aug 2 2012 - unconfirmed ebird reports

Sorry, my first message got cut off....

No, not the official counters. They only count on Tuesday and Friday. I
should be getting their report shortly, and I will advise if it contains
 anything noteworthy. Montezuma eTT is the eBird Trail Tracker situated
at the Audubon Center in Savannah (I think this is the only location,
could be wrong about that.) Similar to one here at the Lab, it is a
device that allows anyone to submit eBird sightings from that location.
It was a good idea, but I see erroneous sightings submitted that way much more
than valid interesting sightings, and they often seem to follow the convenience
of the alphebtical list, probably contributing to reports of double-digit
Acadian Flycatchers at Sapsucker Woods in mid-winter and things like that. In
fact, if you look at the list containing the pelican and avocet you will notice
that it includes three "American" species and two starting with "B," so I think
it's probably safe to conclude this is not a valid list. That said, anything is
possible, so definitely keep an eye out if you're in the area.

-Jay