On 10/27/2012 9:34 AM, Marie P Read wrote:
I tend to agree with Steve and Susie, I feel very sorry for birds affected by
these extreme weather events, and view birders' excitement over such rarities
as the frigatebird that showed up in the Cayuga Basin a couple of years back
(and subsequently died) as rather mawkish. Give me a bird in its native habitat
any time.

Marie

But what we all tend to forget, or don't want to remember is that regardless of where any animal' range is, nature can and will change that habitat. This is not some plan cooked up by birders, this is the way nature works. We can only stand and watch, this is what we do. The fact that we may take the opportunity to view this does not make us anything less than human. We tend to over anthropomorphize when dealing with other species and forget just where all of this is in the grand scheme we call nature. Enjoy nature, warts and all. As for me, if a rare bird shows up for what ever reason, I will enjoy it's beauty, not it's misery.
Carl
"For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor
the protected will never know"
Unknown Marine Khe Sahn, Vietnam