Where is the "LIKE" button for such e-mails as those from Carl Steckler & both
the Dave's???

I also appreciate that Dave Nicosia, both as a meteorologist & a birder/human
being, has taken time from his busy work to give us birders the "whole story"
about the storm & the possible/probable consequences.  We can't change any of
what will happen but we can learn from it. Nature takes care of itself, does
what it will & goes on. Only humans try to control & change it.

John & I went through Hurricane Carol when we were stationed on Cape Cod in
1954, followed by Edna & Hazel, (considered the worst storm since the killer in
1938), after we had been sent back to Fort Devens near Boston. I've never
forgotten watching the gulls fighting the winds over the waters of Cape Cod bay
& dropping exhausted into the wild waves. We hadn't a clue about hurricanes ...
or what to expect or fear such as when we were standing on a cliff on the ocean
side & seeing the immense swell of water racing upwards at us. Later we found
it was a "tidal wave" (now called a storm surge) & later saw a huge freighter
completely grounded by it at Buzzard's Bay. Sand, salt water, high winds, lack
of awareness, ignorance, defiance, stupidity ... all played a part in
destruction on every side & to living things, plant & animal. And so it always
will be. fb
Dave Nutter said: And I really appreciate the work by Dave Nicosia and the
other folks at eBird toward our knowledge of birds' ranges, migration habits,
and how they interact with the weather.

Dave Nicosia said: The forecast track of Sandy is highly unusual and could make
for some very interesting birding in its wake. It will all depend on where the
center of the storm tracks relative to central NY.
I can't overemphasize enough to be safe first!!!!
E Bird has a nice website on all
this...http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/hurricane-sandy