I stopped at East Shore Park today in hopes of seeing the reported White-winged
Scoter.  Instead, I found a lone female Lesser Scaup with a fishing lure in her
mouth and apparently fishing line wrapped around her wing exposing the white at
the bases of her secondaries.  I have put a few photos at
http://picasaweb.google.com/KevinJ.McGowan/Winter20122013#5830074707828587666
and the following images.

I don't know if this is the same bird that has been reported as a White-winged
Scoter, but I wouldn't be surprised.  It had me fooled for a while.  It is a
dark duck showing a distinct white patch in the wing, a white spot behind a
scooped bill, and a dirty paler area near the nape. Luckily I saw only the head
for the moments of my first identification try, and the white in the face was
solid scaup. When it finally turned and the white in the wing showed I went
back and tried to make it a scoter, but it just wasn't.

As can be seen from the photos, the bird has a large white belly and white wing
linings.  An immature scoter can have a white patch on the belly, but not a
clearly defined dark chest line nor any white under the wing.  With a bit of
overexposure the head can be seen to be brown, not blackish and whitish.  The
large red lure dangling from its bill didn't fit any field marks of any
species, but it did make me think for a while that it was holding its bill open
exposing a pink lining.

The bird was actively swimming past the park, going south.  It dived once when
a Ring-billed Gull made a pass.  I can imagine that having a gull pull on the
lure, trying to steal the "fish" would not be fun, and the scaup didn't let the
gull get close.

As someone commented to me, it's good Bald Eagle bait. Personally I hope an
eagle gets it soon.  Its quality of life looks pretty miserable.

Kevin