Twelve of us on the Cayuga Bird Club field trip were at the Knox- Marcellus overlook around 1:30 watching some 800 Tundra Swans and 100 Mallards/Black Ducks on the ice. One of us (not sure who) drew our attention to several crows atop one of the taller trees at the east end of the woods on the left (north) end of the impoundment. Directly below the crows was a largish (noticably bigger than the crows) raptor partially hidden by branches. Through multiple scopes and over a half hour of observation we were able to piece together a fairly full description, leaving us with the tentative ID of 1st year Gyr. We observed: grayish-brown back and wings, vertically streaked breast, light-colored head with a thin dark line extending from slightly in front of the eye to well behind it, finely barred tail, bluish bill, fluffy-covered, gray legs (one observer reported yellow feet). After about 30 minutes the bird took flight, headed straight for the group of ducks on the ice, flushing them all (the swans stayed put) and chasing one in looping circles until it escaped to the east over Puddler's. During the flight we observed pointed, dark-tipped wings, two-toned wings (coverts noticeably darker than the flight feathers). At that point we all concluded that it was, indeed, a Gryfalcon. The bird ended up in one of the smaller trees just past the K-M dike to the east. We subsequently checked from Towpath Rd and did not re-find it.

My thanks to all the participants for their patience (on an otherwise slow day) and great help with the Gyr. Here's hoping that it finds the food to its liking and stays in the area for a while.

Bob McGuire