One of the confusing things about the eBird name for Kip Island Fields (other than that I too never saw any other reference to it) is that it describes the location as SE of the two highways, whereas maps clearly show the area to be SW of the conjunction of those two roads. I am not immune to making such E v W mistakes or giving confusing directions (I guess it is SW of I-90, but it's W of NYS-90) in emails. The problem I see is the difficulty (impossibility?) of changing the eBird name for the site. At least I don't know how do it for my personal sites let alone for hotspots.

Other birding hotspots also have been misnamed. For instance, the triangular woods south of Stewart Park is not Fuertes Sanctuary, which refers to the swan pond (note the historical bronze marker). It should instead refer to Renwick Bird Sanctuary or Renwick Wildwood as on the concrete arch.
--Dave Nutter