This morning I re-found the CLAY-COLORED SPARROW in Summerhill reported Sunday by Jay McGowan, Livia Santana, and Brent Bomkamp in the Christmas tree farm on the west side of Lick St just north of NYS-90. I agree with Jay that the bird is quiet and hard to find, although others may have better luck/skill. I did not find it on Sunday afternoon and evening during 3 hours of walking up and down a half mile stretch of the road, and this morning it took me almost 2 hours. It's a birdy area, so the time was pleasant, except Sunday's brief rainstorm. The Clay-colored Sparrow's song is distinctive, but soft and difficult (for me, anyway) to hear. The bird perched near the top of small spruces to sing, but not at the very top where it would be obvious. While I was watching it a CHIPPING SPARROW alit in the same tree a few inches above it. They eyed each other for a few seconds, the Clay-colored in a more crouched horizontal stance, then both zoomed off in low tandem flight. I assume the Chipping Sparrow was the chaser. Then a minute later a FIELD SPARROW alit atop the same spruce tree to sing. Maybe that was a really attractive tree, or maybe this was another bit of intra-Spizella aggression. The Clay-colored Sparrow returned shortly to sing from another nearby young spruce tree.

Its location for me seemed a bit different than either Brent or Jay described, so I guess there's no particular reason it will stay where I saw it either, but here goes: There are 2 obvious dirt driveways into the tree farm. I saw it just north of the southern driveway (not the one by the stream) and pretty far back from the road - partly up a rise and a bit farther than (SW of) a group of mid-sized Cottonwoods.

I apologize for the delay in posting. My phone did not cooperate. I hope it was just a reception issue.