I don't know what was in the photo or what else the Red-headed Woodpeckers have been eating, but this afternoon at South Mays Point Road I watched one in a tree just next to the road, eating wild grapes. It then flew to one of the dead trees, but not the tree with the cavity I believe they have been using. Both adults were present in the dead trees, but I did not see them approach that tree during the 20 minutes we were there, although someone else reported on eBird today seeing one of them apparently feeding an unseen nestling.
--Dave Nutter