Tilden and I went looking for owls and other birds on Sunday morning.  We
found no unusual birds at all on two passes along Snyder and Neimi Road
behind the Ithaca airport, nor at the intersection of Scofield and Buck
Roads near the Dryden/Groton town line, nor anywhere in between.

The highlight of our outing was a fine conversation with Mr. Griffin, the
owner of the Christmas tree farm on Buck Road, where Short-eared Owls have
roosted in past winters.  Mr. Griffin says that he hasn't seen any owls
there this year, while also noting how conspicuous the owls have been when
present.  He observes in general how the abundance of insects and birds
seems to have declined steeply since his youth, when kids needed to look out
for grasshoppers lest one collide painfully with an eye.  Mr. Griffin also
regaled us about how he and his friend David Allen (son of Lab founder
Arthur) made a trip through Aurora many years ago.   They saw a Gyrfalcon
stooping on a flock of crows!

Mark Chao

---
is active.