My gosh,

    I wouldn't have guessed that I could get so many helpful tips about
somewhat sedentary SNOW. Thanks so much. The 16 person field trip looks
like it may well be a success. Of course, the weather forecast is now
for warming (which you might think was a blessing, except) with
snow/sleet/rain. It could be that this trip is under a jinx. I'm
certainly not going to supervise the driving of two vans filled with
students in sleet/rain/snow, but we'll see what happens.

     Given the kind input so far, I will pay particular attention around
Lane Rd off 34 and to the southern end of Indian Field Rd.!

     Several people have said that they have seen the SEOWs near Lake
Winery from even as early as 3:30 to 4:30. I will time the trip to catch
that window of opportunity. By the way, the raptor survey for the
Greater Montezuma Wetlands Complex starts it's survey a half hour before
legal sundown, way later than 3:30. I think the Montezuma timing is
based on a lot of previous experience so the short-ears near the winery
seem to be the exception.

Thanks so much to the listserve,

John Confer

I will have my cell phone (607-229-5952) with me throughout the day with
the trip leaving at 1:00 (not 2:00 as I thought earlier).