for any of the Finger Lake to freeze over today. The above period was during
the end of the Little Ice Age before the early 20th
century warm-up.

On Sunday, February 9, 2014 11:50 PM, Linda Post Van Buskirk <l...@cornell.edu>
wrote:

I wonder for how long.  The lake can skim over with a sharp dip in temp, and
then winds break up the ice.  When we went down to the lakeshore Saturday
morning (we’re just north of the village of Aurora), the shore was covered with
shards of ice, clear as glass—and then the water was indeed frozen over, but
just a thin sheet, about 100 yards out.

From:bounce-112541225-3493...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-112541225-3493...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Susan Fast
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2014 9:19 PM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Additional freezing info

A. R. Cahn in "The freezing of Cayuga Lake in its relation to bird life".  Auk
29:437-444 reports that the lake was completely frozen over in 1796, 1816,
1826, 1856, 1875, 1884, 1904, and 1912.  A couple of these were thought due to
volcanic eruptions in other parts of the world.

Steve Fast
Welcome and Basics
Rules and Information
Subscribe, Configuration and Leave