I was at Salt Point taking bad photos when I saw a chipmunk crossing the dirt
road near its dead end at the concrete blocks on the North side.  The chippy
was heading toward the base of the big scrubby juniper on the east side of the
road, and suddenly out of the tree a Robin came streaking down, hit the chippy
so hard it tumbled head over heels.  The bird chased it back into the brush
across the road, with continuing scuffling sounds.  The Robin came back to the
tree; the scene was repeated twice more in the next 5 min or so.  Finally the
Robin began marching back and forth on the road like an armed guard in front of
a palace, and thereafter no more sign of the chipmunk.  The attacks happened so
fast that I failed to get a decent photo.  I think of chipmunks as pretty quick
on their feet, but this one was no match for the Robin, it got nailed every
time.  Needless to say, the Robin does have nestlings in that tree.

Other birds to mention-

at least two singing Willow Flycatchers;  E. Kingbird seems to have moved in- I
see one regularly; Mourning Warbler heard as Jay reported in the ravine across
the tracks from the north end;  Green Heron on the creek;  at least two singing
Yellow-throated Vireos-  one seen near the RR bridge; fly-over Wood Duck,
heading for the creek upstream of the RR bridge.

--John Greenly