I attended the Seminar on Crows at the Lab of O and enjoyed it very
much.  When Kevin related the information about the chipmunk eating baby
birds, I was reminded of an incident I witnessed in PA a few years ago.
(I think I posted it to the Cayugabirds list.)  From my dad's kitchen
window, I saw a chipmunk attack and kill a female cardinal who was
nearby, pecking at seeds fallen from the feeder. The chipmunk grabbed
the cardinal and in the struggle, her neck was broken.  We should have
just watched, I guess, but we rushed outside and the chipmunk raced off,
scolding.  We put the dead cardinal on a nearby stump and went out on an
errand for a short time. When we returned, the cardinal was gone.  Don't
know if the chipmunk came back and dragged her away or if a neighborhood
cat had come by.  In any case, we learned that chipmunks are tough!

Kathleen Kramer
Newfield