At 8:32 this evening (30 July) as Laurie and I walked north on the Cayuga
Waterfront Trail along NYS-89 we saw in the distance an OSPREY flying west
over the Cayuga Inlet toward Union Field hauling a ridiculously long stick. As
we passed by, a binocular view revealed one bird fussing at length amid the
pile atop the nest platform. One ridiculously long stick dangled from the rest.
Another was below, caught on the lights. Yes, the nest has appeared to grow
over the weeks, but this was the first time I witnessed the work during my
casual observations. The nest-builder's mate preened in a snag on the east bank
of the inlet by the NYSDOT property just south of the Farmers' Market. I think
a line of sight between the two allowed for supervision.